Friday, January 20, 2017

Duty


Disclaimer: The following is my thoughts and opinions.  I might lead you astray...but I might not.


Definition of duty

plural - duties


  1. conduct due to parents and superiors :  respect <filial duty and obedience — John Locke>
  2. a: obligatory tasks, conduct, service, or functions that arise from one's position (as in life or in a group) <was his duty to support his family> <Her primary duty at the meeting was to take attendance.> <performs a variety of administrative duties>b (1) :  assigned service or business <was put on kitchen duty> <jury duty> (2) :  active military service <returning from duty overseas> (3) :  a period of being on duty <report for duty at 7 a.m.>
  3. a: a moral or legal obligation <felt it was their duty to help>b :  the force of moral obligation <will be ready when duty calls>
  4. tax; especially :  a tax on imports <a 15 percent duty>
  5. a: work 1ab (1) :  the service required (as of an electric machine) under specified conditions (2) :  functional application :  use <got double duty out of the trip> (3) :  use as a substitute <making the word do duty for the thing — Edward Sapir>







"He He, he said doody.'


No, not "doody".  This is not a middle school blog.








As boring and unexceptional as it is, duty rules my day.  Here is my little secret...I don't mind.


I have grown comfortable with my duties.  They are not a burden; they are a gift.




I have a duty to my family, which means I have a family.  I have a duty to my employer, which means I have a job.  There are duties to my church and church family but, in return, I get a church and a church family.  I am on the school board at my kid's school.  This involves multiple duties which can become tedious and time-consuming.  But, I get to be a part of making our school the best school it can be.




When I stop to think about it, I have many duties.  And, at times, it can be overwhelming.




"Why did I volunteer my self for this job?  What was I thinking?"



Here is the thing, I have a purpose.  I am of use.  My duties matter to others, sometimes in large ways and sometimes in small ways and sometimes in silent ways.  Each day I have an opportunity to make a difference to my kids, to my wife, to my coworkers, to the patients I treat, to the kids at school, to the staff at school, to  members of my church and even to random people I might run across.




Deep down in my soul, all I really want is to be a source of positivity for others.  It is not my job to 'fix' the world.  Here is my job - be the best version of Mike as often as I can.  God will sort out the details as He sees fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment