Monday, October 16, 2017

Identity - Part 1


Disclaimer: The following is my thoughts and opinions.  Since I am human, I can be wrong.
  • Rule #1 - Never assume you are 100% right and never assume you are 100% wrong
  • Rule #2 - don't be jerk
  • Rule #3 - when there is disagreement, assume the worst of your intentions and the best of the other persons intentions
Definition of Identity
  • sameness of essential or generic character in different instances
  • sameness in all that constitutes the objective reality of a thing
  • the distinguishing character or personality of an individual
  • the relation established by psychological identification
  • the condition of being the same with something described or asserted
  • an equation that is satisfied for all values of the symbols

It is difficult to live and exist in our current times without making reference to the current state of our country and our world.  At this moment in time, I feel compelled to do so; I feel convicted to do so.  Is this arrogance?  Possibly.  Is this a hidden form of self-righteousness?  Maybe.  I hope not.
 
Before I can comment on today, I feel I must describe myself...my identity.  Where do I come from, how do I see the world, what defines who I am?  We will start with a bullet list because I have a 'thing' for bullet lists.
  • I am 42 years old (born 1975)
  • I am a Caucasian male.
  • I was born into a middle class household in a suburb of Grand Rapids in West Michigan.
  • My father was an auto mechanic and my mother was a public school teacher.
  • I spent my childhood going to church and Sunday school and youth group.
  • I did not become a follower of Christ until about a year after finishing graduate school.
  • I was a nominal Christian - If someone had asked me when I was 20 what my religion was, I would have said 'Christian'.  However, I was not a follower of Christ.
  • I have been married for 14 years.
  • My wife and I have 3 kids from 11 to 5 years old - a girl, a boy, and a girl.
  • I love my wife and my children so deeply that it can truly hurt.
  • We are part of a church family at a Christian Reformed Church.
  • My children go to a Christian school that originates from the Reformed tradition, with a strong Dutch background.
  • I am a physical therapist.
  • I work in a multidisciplinary chronic pain rehab program.
  • I thoroughly and completely enjoy my work.
  • I would be remiss if I didn't not mention my passion for all things cycling.
The list above is what you would expect if you asked someone "Who are you?"  But does it really give you the distinguishing character or personality of an individual?
 
Who am I?  I am a follower of Christ (Jesus of Nazareth, the Son of God).  At my heart, at my core, in the deepest part of myself, that is who I am.  Each day I try to be a follower.  Each day I try to do it better, more purely, than the day before.  I fail most days.
 
That is who I am.  Nothing more needs to be said.

No comments:

Post a Comment